I’m going to have a slight change of pace. This one has been floating in the aether for a while now, if only because of a bunch of scattered memories tied to facebook posts from ages back. Well, digging a mix of scattered campaign notes, FB posts and then some. So, let’s dive into the past and observe the passage of time within what started as a small city and expanded into its own thing.
I had more beyond what I posted! Here’s part 2, containing armor and misc. items! So, let’s travel back into the strange, very chrome future and puruse some equally odd items from a truly alien era! Enjoy!
The mad mage trying to become immortal to cheat death, an incredible laboratory invention allows a group of scientists to travel time, alien colonists are finally granted citizen status within Earth Settlement Station 08 after years of fighting for their rights, a fight with explosive jelly inspires an artificer to forge the prototype for “Firing Arms”, prisoners of past cyber-jacking crimes are freed after new sanctions expand definitions of virtual reality and exploration of realistic digital spaces, etc. These are stories affected by the movement of time, creating their own landmarks upon it. Changes, creations and other things that are all milestones remembered in time. Soon, they will be mere memories and pages of tomes… But, for now? They are the makings of legends!
It is that time, once again! In the past, I tackled themes like “science fantasy” and “dark fiction”. This time, rather than a whole genre or encompassing mood, I’ll try something a little different. More or less, the passing of time and its effect on a game world. The theme “Time Marches On” was what I had in mind. It has its share of potential meanings revolving around time itself. And at the end of the month, I’ll collect all contributions and showcase them in a finale post. Now, what does this mean? Lemme explain with a few examples of my own!
- Societal/social progress: How does your world experience change? Do old structures give way to new ideals? Does a new autocratic rule take hold where old monarchies ruled? Are rights granted to beings considered monsters in the past?
- Technological innovation: What has sparked a big invention boom? How has the world progressed in terms of scientific (or magical) creation? Has explosive jelly resulted in fantasy firearms? How did Kevlar style armor lead to power armor?
- Time Skips: It’s always fun to do a follow-up game that’s a ways after the previous game. What was the PC’s legacy? Perhaps a former adventurer from a previous game has taken up the mantle again, maybe even mentoring one of the current PCs?
- Countdowns: Whether to a celebration or to Looking Glass (to sample from a classic Cold War doomsday thriller), it’s always fun to put things on the timer. Force the players to really move it or lose it. Plus, that overhanging dread of having time as an adversary is always a strong tool.
- Reflections: Many of us have been gaming over the years. Some things change, some things don’t, time keeps moving. So, here’s to a look back and forward at those many adventures and many great moments!
- The Flow of Time: Does it go naturally? Is time a line, a loop, a big bowl of wibbly wobbly? How exactly does the concept of time function in your world? And yes, time travel falls under this… So, for those of you itching to write about it, have at it! Doc commands it, from the FUUUUTTTUUUURRREEE!!!
By all means, these are just ideas. So, how does time march on for your games? Please, comment below! Also, learn more about the RPG Blog Carnival here.
IMAGE CREDIT: RPG Blog Carnival Logo
Endless tomes tell tales of brooding beings locked in wretched crypts, of things we are not meant to know dwelling beyond the skies, of shocking creatures that terrify as they stun, of punishment for grievous sin and decedent folly. These stories of old have fueled events to come for generations. History has a habit of repeating, especially the negative…
Author’s Note: What? Something non-crunch related??? That hasn’t happened in a long time, I know. I prefer the mechanical bits, myself. That said, I wanted to do something a little different. I’ve made backgrounds, NPCs, monsters, class options, a race and then some with a gothic theme… why not stuff on the campaign itself? Plus, this example is literally about literature. So, here are some hooks inspired by various stories. I’ll post something else later in the week, I promise.
Upon a distant plateau lies foul denizens of Leng.
While many horrors beyond our reaches have found their way into the material, other things creep into reality and bring chaos with them in more subtle ways. Some lurk just beyond the veil, while others find others to do their bidding. Whether they seek to destroy us or take over, eldritch powers are slowly becoming more pronounced. It is unlikely that we’ll ever be ready for them. – Finnemin Cobblertoe, Halfling Archivist
Author’s Note: I wanted to make another contribution to the December ’17 blog carnival. So, true to Doc tradition, here’s some more H.P. Lovecraft creations for 5E! You can find more cosmic horrors throughout my blog via relevant tags like ‘lovecraft‘ and ‘cthulhu mythos‘. Read more about the RPG Blog Carnival Blog here.
While I got a fair bit more last year, I still enjoyed this theme quite a bit! The GRIMDARK theme might not have been everyone’s cup of tea, perhaps less than science-fantasy. But, oh well, this was a theme I wanted to do for a long time. None the less, this has been a learning experience. All the same, some of the bloggers who participated last year weren’t able to join in for this year. But, to those who were able to join in? You have my thanks! Thanks for making this celebration of the dark and dreadful a truly fun one! That said, onward to other things. But in the meantime, here are this month’s contributors for my theme! Please, check out what they have to offer! And as always, give the RPG Carnival a try yourself! It’s tons of fun and well worth the effort!
Anyway, enough babbling out of me! Here are the contributors for “Doomsdays & Dystopias”:
Stay tuned for Kobold Press and their theme of “Magic” for August 2017! You can find out more here! Again, a big thanks for everyone who was interested in the darker side of gaming fiction! Till next time, gamers!
IMAGE CREDIT: Wasteland 2 Promotional Image – Obsidian Entertainment
They shouldn’t have existed, mistakes of nature and mistakes of humanity! These abominations were the accidents as a result of careless experiments and deadly warfare. And the result? Worse than we could have ever feared. Confused, angry, resentful, hateful! These things seek to destroy both their creators and the world around them. Much like the forces that spawned them, destruction is usually their goal. But, these creatures are no villains, but the consequences of arrogance, apathy, discrimination and violence.
Author’s Note: As a continuation of my theme, here’s a plethora of horrible mutants and mad experiments. While much of it is revisiting old monsters, there’s a good amount of new goodies to toss into your wastelands, super secret labs and other such locations.