To me, September marks a return to horror. And boy, do I LOOOOOVE doing that sort of stuff. Expect some more dark themed homebrew as well as some new stuff for DM’s Guild quite soon! Sure, next week’s post is more of an homage to my “Wyvern Peaks” adventure, but what follows after that will be delightfully spooky fun. Needless to say, I’m out of my funk… So, be ready!
First off, I’m glad to see my content is popular with people around the web. That said, it’s come to my attention that people have been using my work in other things or outright copying it for their own stuff, claiming as their own. Maybe it shouldn’t bug me as much as it has, but thems the breaks. To make matters worse, it’s old drafts that are being taken from. The whole situation is kinda disheartening to me. I’m glad people like my work, but I don’t any receive credit or feedback. I’ve been doing this sort of thing for over 4 years, making free content. But lately, I dunno… You’ll probably see something this Wednesday. If not, next week.
Till later, readers
By the looks of it, I can guess my most popular posts have been either science-fiction related or involved new races (such as the beast-folk). As such, I can guarantee you’ll see more or one of the other very soon!
Even though last week’s post was out early, this one will be out a tad late. This is due to me helping out with my local fair for the next couple of days. Don’t worry, I’ll try to jump back to a “normal” schedule.
While I got a fair bit more last year, I still enjoyed this theme quite a bit! The GRIMDARK theme might not have been everyone’s cup of tea, perhaps less than science-fantasy. But, oh well, this was a theme I wanted to do for a long time. None the less, this has been a learning experience. All the same, some of the bloggers who participated last year weren’t able to join in for this year. But, to those who were able to join in? You have my thanks! Thanks for making this celebration of the dark and dreadful a truly fun one! That said, onward to other things. But in the meantime, here are this month’s contributors for my theme! Please, check out what they have to offer! And as always, give the RPG Carnival a try yourself! It’s tons of fun and well worth the effort!
Anyway, enough babbling out of me! Here are the contributors for “Doomsdays & Dystopias”:
- Daemons and Deathrays
- Doomsdays & Dystopias RPG Blog Carnival – The post to kick things off, in which I discuss why GRIMDARK stuff is cool!
- Conflict in Dark Worlds and Genres – I take a look at the role of conflict in dark settings and themes, plus supply some anecdotes on games I’ve been in.
- Post-Apocalyptic Rules Revised – I update some rules for corroded equipment, radiation, decrepit buildings and anomalies.
- Mutant Monsters – Here’s an assortment of all sorts of hellish and horrifying things spawned by toxic chemical, radiation, strange powers and more!
- Murder Machines and Killer Cars! – A Brutal Game Show from the GRIMDARK Future!
- Pitfalls and Pixies – The Iaraan Faur – Faith of Pitfalls creates a sylvan race blighted and mutated by pollutants and radiation, turning them into grim and hateful creatures.
- Bound-Incubus – All the spooky worlds – Tony talks about what the World of Darkness universe means to him in terms of gaming, sub-culture and more.
- Sea of Stars – Doomsdays and Dystopias of Sea of Stars – Sean of Sea of Stars tells us about the darker side of his setting, examining catastrophes and harsh societies within his world.
- The Wandering Alchemist – Angels and Demons – John of Wandering Alchemist discusses how a proxy war between fiends and celestials have left his world battered and scarred, especially against the forces fo chaos!
- Tales of a GM – Grimdark Interludes – Phil from Tales of a GM takes a look at games with elements of “GRIMDARK” and his own experiences with it.
- Teylen’s RPG Corner – [Actual Play] The Last Night – 1st V5 Pre-Alpha Playtest – Teylen gives a run down of a Vampire the Masquerade V5 playtest, set in the ever stark World of Darkness universe.
- Stories and Other Such Distractions – How I create characters for Cyberpunk 2020 – Phillip of Stories and Other Distractions gives the run down on character building for one of the most famous cyberpunk games out there, 2020!
Stay tuned for Kobold Press and their theme of “Magic” for August 2017! You can find out more here! Again, a big thanks for everyone who was interested in the darker side of gaming fiction! Till next time, gamers!
IMAGE CREDIT: Wasteland 2 Promotional Image – Obsidian Entertainment
Because of my work schedule being crazy (8 shifts bouncing between night and day) in a row, I just can’t find energy or time to do something for this week. So, I’m consolidating effort to get ready for the RPG Blog Carnival theme that I’ll be doing for the month of July! The theme? “Doomsdays & Dystopias” or rather, dark genres of fiction and dark settings. WH40K RPG/Wargaming stories, examining bleak subject matter and grim things in gaming, dying quickly in the desert world of Athas, dying even faster in Ravenloft, stark and seemingly hopeless worlds, etc. All that stuff is good! Till next time, friends! Don’t you dare go hollow.
Image Credit: Fallout Tales #2 – Black Isles Studios/Obsidian Entertainment/Bethesda Software
Between running out of energy from work during Easter and Passover holiday hours and a whole bunch of other things, next post will be a tad late. Sorry about that.