I’m going to have a slight change of pace. This one has been floating in the aether for a while now, if only because of a bunch of scattered memories tied to facebook posts from ages back. Well, digging a mix of scattered campaign notes, FB posts and then some. So, let’s dive into the past and observe the passage of time within what started as a small city and expanded into its own thing.
I had more beyond what I posted! Here’s part 2, containing armor and misc. items! So, let’s travel back into the strange, very chrome future and puruse some equally odd items from a truly alien era! Enjoy!
Once again, you find yourself in a familiar store. However, everything looks chrome… very chrome. It’s sleek, it’s bright, everything looks angular. Strange lights illuminate the silver shaded corridor leading to a somewhat familiar cashier stand. Instead of the lovable traveling monk is some kind of mechanical humanoid. Components grind and chirp as it takes notice to you. “Designation: GREETINGS! Operation: SALES, X = Promotion, go to X. What items are you seeking today, Occupation: Adventurers?” The illuminated metal humanoid seems to be ushering you around the renovated shop. “The specialty of Location: Bizarre Bazaar is adventure equipment, mostly involving arms and armory. DISCLAIMER: Some items are inherently restricted and will require proper documentation in order to receive them. Items can be delivered to a proper base of operations, if need be. Do any Ocupation: Adventurers have any inquiries?”
Author’s Note: Time marches on, even for Zam’Dul! I’m back doing one of my favorite segments. This time, I’m doing a much needed update to tech items and magitech! Here is an assortment of techno items from past and present! Also, these operate similarly to enchanted magical items and contain similar properties as a result. Keep a look out for scattered pop culture references… which are revealed in the tags. Also, this is one of my longer ones!
If interested, you can find the Performance Boosting Exo-Suit and the Force Field Coil Armor here, the Crystal Ray Gun here and the Flight Pack here.
Pardon the delay, my life is often pretty hectic; especially as work hours increase as well as trying to juggle a whole cluster of various issues as well. I’ll have something in the new week.
The mad mage trying to become immortal to cheat death, an incredible laboratory invention allows a group of scientists to travel time, alien colonists are finally granted citizen status within Earth Settlement Station 08 after years of fighting for their rights, a fight with explosive jelly inspires an artificer to forge the prototype for “Firing Arms”, prisoners of past cyber-jacking crimes are freed after new sanctions expand definitions of virtual reality and exploration of realistic digital spaces, etc. These are stories affected by the movement of time, creating their own landmarks upon it. Changes, creations and other things that are all milestones remembered in time. Soon, they will be mere memories and pages of tomes… But, for now? They are the makings of legends!
It is that time, once again! In the past, I tackled themes like “science fantasy” and “dark fiction”. This time, rather than a whole genre or encompassing mood, I’ll try something a little different. More or less, the passing of time and its effect on a game world. The theme “Time Marches On” was what I had in mind. It has its share of potential meanings revolving around time itself. And at the end of the month, I’ll collect all contributions and showcase them in a finale post. Now, what does this mean? Lemme explain with a few examples of my own!
- Societal/social progress: How does your world experience change? Do old structures give way to new ideals? Does a new autocratic rule take hold where old monarchies ruled? Are rights granted to beings considered monsters in the past?
- Technological innovation: What has sparked a big invention boom? How has the world progressed in terms of scientific (or magical) creation? Has explosive jelly resulted in fantasy firearms? How did Kevlar style armor lead to power armor?
- Time Skips: It’s always fun to do a follow-up game that’s a ways after the previous game. What was the PC’s legacy? Perhaps a former adventurer from a previous game has taken up the mantle again, maybe even mentoring one of the current PCs?
- Countdowns: Whether to a celebration or to Looking Glass (to sample from a classic Cold War doomsday thriller), it’s always fun to put things on the timer. Force the players to really move it or lose it. Plus, that overhanging dread of having time as an adversary is always a strong tool.
- Reflections: Many of us have been gaming over the years. Some things change, some things don’t, time keeps moving. So, here’s to a look back and forward at those many adventures and many great moments!
- The Flow of Time: Does it go naturally? Is time a line, a loop, a big bowl of wibbly wobbly? How exactly does the concept of time function in your world? And yes, time travel falls under this… So, for those of you itching to write about it, have at it! Doc commands it, from the FUUUUTTTUUUURRREEE!!!
By all means, these are just ideas. So, how does time march on for your games? Please, comment below! Also, learn more about the RPG Blog Carnival here.
IMAGE CREDIT: RPG Blog Carnival Logo