Durlag’s Tower, an abandoned dungeon that sends shivers down the spines of many. For some, it’s a cautionary tale about love, obsession and paranoia. For others, it’s a giant grave that acts as a memento for dwarven kind. For some, it’s the ultimate treasure trove that’s just waiting to be explored! Eternally notorious for a variety of reasons, this accursed place rests a distance from both Beregost and Nashkel. If traps aren’t the cause of death, the terrible monsters that lurk in the depths likely are. Or worse yet? It could the party’s very vices that lead to their own downfall. Needless to say, the only people that would explore such dangerous ruins have a death wish.
Author’s Note: The Adventurer’s League has recently released an adventure inspired by the classic Durlag’s Tower dungeon from the Forgotten Realms… but more specifically, Baldur’s Gate. So, I figure, what better time to revive some of the classic monsters from the original dungeon! Granted, most of them were easy to build variants of classic/existing monsters already in 5E. So, without further ado, enjoy! Also, pardon this one being a bit sparse, I’ll post something for the weekend too, I promise!
Greater Doppelganger – Variant Doppelganger
- Stats: Strength 13 (+1), Intelligence 19 (+4), Wisdom 15 (+2)
- Hit Points: 71 (11d8 + 22)
- Magic Resistance: Gain Advantage on saves against spells
- Innate Casting:
- At-Will: Haste, Mirror Image
- 1/Day: Cloudkill, Fireball
- Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
Demon Knight –
Uses Erinyes stats as base, make the following changes:
- Change to “Medium fiend (demon), chaotic evil”, knows “Abyssal” instead of “Infernal”
- “Hellish Weapon” is “Abyssal Weapon”, and it deals fire damage instead of poison damage, as do other related attacks.
- Gain Combat Casting. May use magic while wielding weapons in hands.
- Give the Demon Knight innate magic:
- At-Will: Absorb Elements, Fire Bolt (4d10), Healing Word, Ray of Sickness
- 3/Day Each: Fireball, Scorching Ray, Stinking Cloud
- 1/Day Each: Fire Shield, Immolation
- Challenge 13 (10,000 XP)
The Angry Ghost – A vengeful wizard who hates Durlag.
Uses Ghost stats (MM P.147)
- Stats: Intelligence 18 (+4)
- Skills. Arcana +10, History +7
- (Increase DC and Attack bonuses by +1 as well)
- Innate Spellcasting:
- 1/Day: Mirror Image, Dimension Door, Confusion (cast as 6th level spell), Flesh to Stone, Cloudkill, Fireball, Lightning Bolt
- Summon Invisible Stalker (1/Day): Summons an Invisible Stalker nearby as an action.
- Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
The Four Warders – Upon completing their quest line, they’ll attack as a group.
- Dwarven Priest (Use Priest NPC, MM P.248: increase hit points to 49 (9d8 + 9); treat as level 9; gains the below changes to spells; gains Ghostly Haunt template; Challenge 6 (2,300 XP))
- Lv. 3 (3 Slots): (add) Bestow Curse
- Lv. 4 (3 Slots): Banishment, Death Ward, Freedom of Movement
- Lv. 5 (1 Slots): Flame Strike
- Dwarven Rune Mage (Use Mage NPC, MM P. 247; gains Ghostly Haunt template; Challenge 8 (3,900))
- 2 Dwarven Warriors (Use Veteran NPC, MM P. 350; gains Ghostly Haunt template; Challenge 5 (1,800 XP))
Original stats and monsters belong to Wizards of the Coast. Baldur’s Gate is property of Bioware (and Obsidian Entertainment?) Made by Doctor Necrotic, for Doctor Necrotic Media. All Rights Reserved.